Subject taught on this MA
Dr Capdevila is not teaching on this year’s MA
My present research interests are the following:
- The acquisition of English as a second and a third language from a generative perspective.
- Individual differences in the learning of a second Language
(motivation, anxiety, attitude…)
- Language Related Episodes and peer interaction.
I have also worked on the acquisition of the syntax of first languages.
I would be happy to supervise students interested in the acquisition of a second or a third Language; individual differences and Language Related Episodes.
Some examples of supervised MA theses
- 2017. Maria José Hernández Rosales. The Omission of Expletive Pronouns “It” and “There” by Spanish Learners of English.
- 2016. Xabier Urrutia Alzuarte. The Acquisition of English as L3 by Basque/Spanish Learners: Evidence from Word Order.
- 2011. Youzi Zhang. The Acquisition of Interrogatives by Chinese Learners of English.
I am a member of the SGR research group EFLIC (English as a
Foreign Language in Instructed Contexts) (SGR693).
I am a member of the research project “Procesamiento y representacion de construcciones multinivel: Efectos del contacto linguistico en hablantes de herencia y bilingues funcionales”, FFI2016-75082-P, UPF.
- Llinàs-Grau, M., E. Pladevall-Ballester, M. Capdevila-Batet” (2013) “On That-omission and its Absence in the Written Production of Bilingual Spanish/Catalan L2-learners of English ” in
Atlantis, Journal of the Spanish Association of Anglo-American Studies, 35.I, pp.35-49. ISSN 0210-6124.
- Aparici, M, Serrat, E., Capdevila, M & M. Serra (2001) “Acquisition of complex sentences in Spanish and Catalan speaking children” in Children’s Language, Ed. K. Nelso, A. Aksu-koç & C. Johnson. Mahwah, NewJersey, pp.1-25, Vol. 2.
- Capdevila, M. (1997) “Crosslinguistic similarieties in the acquisition of English and Catalan”. In Revista Canaria de Estudios
Ingleses“, Vol., 34, pp. 13-33.