Subject taught on this MA
English-Language Teaching Methodologies and New Technologies
Multimodality and use of technology in language teaching
Individual differences and language disabilities in second language acquisition (SLA)
Acquisition and language-learning potential of L2 writing
Embodied cognition in SLA
I would be happy to supervise students in any of the indicated research areas.
Supervised Theses & Dissertations
- Mellado, M., “Individual differences and L2 writing: Effects on writing products and written corrective feedback processing”. Co-direction with Dr. R.M. Manchón, University of Murcia. Prospective defence: 2022.
- Li, Y. “Investigating the role of content support in L2 writing strategic behaviours, linguistics complexity, and writing development”. Co-direction with Dr. R. Gilabert, Universitat de Barcelona. Prospective defence: 2022.
- Donat Nuñez, A., “Development of oral language abilities in young hearing-impaired learners: The case study of twins”. MA program: MA program: Learning Difficulties and Language Disabilities, Open University of Catalunya, academic year: 2019.
- Cortés Ortiz, C., “The relationship between motivation, self-esteem and academic achievement in learners with sensory and motor disabilities”. MA program: MA program: Learning Difficulties and Language Disabilities, Open University of Catalunya, academic year: 2019.
- Pacho Barreales, V., “Integration of students with Prader Willi syndrome into the mainstream classroom”. MA program: MA program: Learning Difficulties and Language Disabilities, Open University of Catalunya, academic year: 2019.
- Hamdi, M., “Students` and teachers` beliefs about computer-assisted language learning”. MA program: Advanced English Studies, Autonomous University of Barcelona, academic year: 2018
- Kepics, T., “The effectiveness of online language learning platforms” MA program: Advanced English Studies, Autonomous University of Barcelona, academic year: 2018
Participation in the following funded research projects:
- Writing and L2 learning in pen-and-paper and computer-mediated environment, starting in 2019 (Seneca foundation). Principal investigator: Dr. R.M. Manchón, University of Murcia
- Tactile learning of non-native sounds, 2018 – 2019 (MINECO). Principal investigator: Dr. Núria Esteve Gibert, Open University of Catalunya
- Intentional and incidental learning of English with authentic input. The case of subtitling, 2017 – 2019 (MINECO). Principal investigators: Dr. Carme Muñoz Lahoz, Dr. Roger Gilabert, Universitat de Barcelona
- Language-learning potential of L2 writing. Attentional processes, individual differences and linguistic development, 2017-2019 (MINECO). Principal investigator: Dr. R.M. Manchón, University of Murcia
- Writing and second language learning: Language-learning-potential of writing and feedback processing, 2015-2017 (Fundación Séneca). Principal investigator: Dr. Rosa M. Manchón, University of Murcia
- The role of authentic materials and out-of-school exposure in English language learning. The effects of age, proficiency and individual differences, 2014-2016 (MINECO). Principal investigator: Dr. Carme Muñoz Lahoz, Universitat de Barcelona
- Age, input and aptitude as predictors of L2 English proficiency: A longitudinal study, 2010-2013 (Spanish Ministry of Science and Technology). Principal investigator: Dr. Carme Muñoz Lahoz, Universitat de Barcelona
I am also member of the consolidated research group GRAL (principal investigator: Dr. Carme Muñóz Lahoz, UB). http://www.ubgral.com/projects.html
- Vasylets, O., Manchón, R., & Gilabert, R. (in press). Task complexity and task modality: CAF measures and communicative adequacy. In R.M. Manchón (Ed.), Writing and Language Learning. Advancing Research Agendas. John Benjamins.
- Vasylets, O., Gilabert, R., Manchon, R. (in press). Contribution of oral and written modes to lexical, syntactic and propositional complexity in L2 performance in instructed contexts. Thematic issue “Linguistic Complexity and Instruction in Second Language Acquisition”, Instructed Second Language Acquisition.
- Manchón, R.M., & Vasylets, O. (2019). Language learning through writing: Theoretical perspectives and empirical evidence. In A. Benati & J.W. Schwieter (Eds.), The Cambridge Handbook of Language Learning, Cambridge University Press.
- Vasylets, O., Gilabert, R., Manchón, R. (2017). The effects of mode and task complexity on L2 performance, Language Learning, 67 (2), 394 -430, doi 10.1111/lang.12228
Publications in preparation
- Vasylets, O., Manchón, R.M. & Gilabert, R. (in preparation). Exploring thinking-for-mode in L2 narrative performance.
- Vasylets, O., Gilabert, R., Ruiz Tada, M. (in preparation). Input enhancement in captions and vocabulary learning: Evidence from an eye-tracking study.
In addition to book chapters, I have also published in peer-reviewed journals such as Language Learning or the Annual Review of Applied Linguistics.