Subject taught on this MA
Sociolinguistics of Bilingualism and Multilingualism
- Language and Work
- Language and disability
- Bilingualism and Multilingualism
- Language and Migration
- Globalization and the role of English
I welcome students wishing to undertake research on any topic related to the research areas listed above.
- Hanna Klimava. The Role of English in Job Recruitment.
- Massimiliano Sassi. Multilingualism and Mobility in Empuriabrava, Spain, February 2019
- Maria Sabaté. Voices from a Locutorio, October 2010
- Eva Codó. The struggle for meaning. Immigration and multilingual talk in an institutional setting, June 2003
- Principal investigator of the research project titled Social Inclusion and the Impact of Voiceitt on Identity and Talk in Persons with Acquired Brain Injury funded by the European Commission, (2017-2019) Horizon 2020 H2020-SMEInst-2016-2017 (H2020-SMEINST-2-2016-2017), Proposal: 779105 — Talkitt.
- Member of research team of research project headed by Joan Pujolar, titled Las mudas lingüìsticas: una aproximación etnográfica a los nuevos hablantes en Europa (2015 -2019) FFI2015-67232-C3-1 Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación, Plan Nacional de la Ciencia I+D+i.
- Principal investigator of the research project titled Multilingüismo y Movilidad: Prácticas Lingüísticas y la Construcción de Identidad (2011-2014) FFI2011-26964andfunded by the Spanish Ministry of Research and Development, MINECO.
- Consultant to research project titled Bordering on Britishness. An Oral History of Gibraltarian Identity in the 20th Century (2013-2017) headed by Dr. Andrew Canessa, University of Essex.
- Head of the CIEN (Communicación Intercultural Estrategias de Negociación) Research Team that has been officially recognized as a Grup Consolidat de Recerca by the Catalan Research Agency (AGAUR) for the period 2014-2017.
- Co-editor with Celia Roberts of the book series Language Migration and Institutions with the publishers Multilingual Matters.
Honors and Awards
- First Prize for the best research paper presented at X Congreso Internacional de la Asociación Española de Logopedia (ALE) in collaboration with Ignasi Clemente, Gema Rubio, Marta Giménez and Robert de Miguel. Madrid, May, 18th-19th.
- 2009 April-July, Birkbeck Institute for the Humanities Fellowship, University of London, Great Britain.
- 2009 Awarded the British Association for Applied Linguistics (BAAL) book prize for the publication: Li Wei & Melissa G. Moyer The Blackwell Guide to Research Methods in Bilingualism and Multilingualism, Oxford: Blackwell.
- Moyer, M. (2018). Language, Mobility and Work. Editor of special issue of the Journal of Language and Intercultural Communication.
- Duchêne, A., Moyer, M. and Roberts, C. (eds.) (2013) Language, Migration and Social (In)equality: A Critical Sociolinguistic. Perspective on Institutions and Work. Bristol: Multilingual Matters (pp. 282).
- Wei, L. and Moyer, M. (eds.) (2008) The Blackwell Guide of Research Methods in Bilingualism and Multilingualism. Oxford: Blackwell (pp.600).
- Moyer, M., 2016. Work. En N. Flores, O. García, M. Spotti (eds.), The Oxford Handbook of Language and Society. Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp.505-525.
- Moyer, M. (2013) Language as a Resource. Migrant Agency, Positioning and Resistance in a Health Care Clinic. In Duchêne, A., Moyer, M. and Roberts, C. (eds.) (2013) Language, Migration and Social (In)equality: A Critical Sociolinguistic. Perspective on Institutions and Work. Bristol: Multilingual Matters, pp.196-224.
- Moyer, M. (2012) Sociolinguistic perspectives on language and multilingualism in institutions. In Marilyn Martin- Jones and Sheena Gardner (eds.) Multilingualsim, Discourse and Ethnography. London: Routledge, pp.34-47.
- Moyer, M. 2018. English in times of crisis. Mobility and work among young Spaniards in London. Language and Intercultural Communication, 18 (4):424-435.
- Moyer, M. 2018. Language, mobility and work. Language and Intercultural Communication, 18 (4):357-361. ISSN: 1470-8477.
- Auer, P. Moyer, M. and Muysken, P. (August 2014) Code-switching in Africa. International Journal of Bilingualism, Vol. 18-4.
- Moyer, M. (2011) Commentary. Linguistics and Education,Vol. 22 (1), pp. 93-94.
- Moyer, M. (2011) What Multilingualism? Agency and Unintended Consequences of Multilingual Practices in a Barcelona Health Clinic. Journal of Pragmatics,Vol. 43 (5), pp. 1209-1221.
- Moyer, M. (2010) The Management of Multilingualism in Public, Private and Non-Governmental Institutions. Sociolinguistic Studies, Vol. 4 (2), pp. 267-296.
- Moyer, M. (2000) Negotiating agreement and disagreement in Spanish-English bilingual conversations with no. The International Journal of Bilingualism, Vol. 4 (4), pp. 485-504.
- Moyer, M. (2020). Critical Inquiries In The Sociolinguistics of Globalization. Review of book by Tyler Andrew Barrett and Sender Dovchin. Bristol: Multilingual Matters. To be published in Journal of Sociolinguistics. DOI:10.1111/josl.12408.
- Moyer, M. 2016. Translanguaging. Language Bilingualism and Education. Review of book by Ofelia Garcia and Li Wei. Basingstoke, U.K.: Palgrave. Published in the Journal of Sociolinguistics, 20 (1):125-130.