Subject taught on this MA
The Acquisition of Phonology and Lexical Access in English as a Second Language
Personal Academic Website: http://pagines.uab.cat/julicebrian/
My research interests include the following areas:
- Acquisition and characteristics of second language speech:
categorization in a second language, intelligibility in L2 speech, learner differences
- Phonetic training and L2 speech
- Speech perception and production,
- General phonetics and English phonetics
- English as a foreign language, pronunciation teaching and
I would be happy to supervise students interested in any of the areas described above.
See http://pagines.uab.cat/julicebrian for on-going and past supervision
2018-2020- Principal investigator, “Cross-linguistic perception, online processing and production of similar phonetic categories in L1 and L2 speech”. Funding agency: Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness. (Reference: FFI2017-88016-P).
Member of the recognized research group in experimental phonetics involving researchers from several Catalan universities and funded by the Catalan Government (2017SGR34). PI: Dr. D. Recasens.
See http://pagines.uab.cat/julicebrian for a complete list
- Cebrian, J. (2019) Perceptual assimilation of British English vowels to Spanish monophthongs and diphthongs. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 145 (1), EL52-EL58. Doi: 10.1121/1.5087645.
- Carlet, A. & Cebrian, J. (2019) Assessing the effect of perceptual training on L2 vowel identification, generalization and long-term effects. In Anne Mette Nyvad, Michaela Hejná, Anders Højen, Anna Bothe Jespersen & Mette Hjortshøj Sørensen (eds.): A Sound Approach to Language Matters – In Honor of Ocke-Schwen Bohn. Dept. of English, School of Communication & Culture, Aarhus University, pp. 91-119.
- Julkowska, I. & Cebrian, J. (2015). Effects of listener factors and stimulus properties on the intelligibility, comprehensibility and foreign accentedness of L2 speech. Journal of Second Language Pronunciation 1(2), 211-237. doi:10.1075/jslp.1.2.04jul (ISSN: 2215-1931).
- Cebrian, J. & Carlet, A. (2014). Second language learners’ identification of target language phonemes: A short-term phonetic training study. Canadian Modern Language Review.
- Cebrian, J. (2012). Syllables. In C. A. Chapelle (general editor) and J. Levis & M. Munro (area editors). The Encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Cebrian, J., J.C. Mora & C. Aliaga García. (2011). Assessing crosslinguistic similarity by means of rated discrimination and perceptual assimilation tasks. In Wrembel, M., Kul, M., Dziubalska-Kołaczyk, K. (eds.), Achievements and perspectives in the acquisition of second language speech: New Sounds 2010, Volume I, pp. 41-52. Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang.
- Cebrian, J. (2009) Interaction of L2 phonotactics and L1 syllable structure in L2 vowel production. In A M. A. Watkins, A. S. Rauber, i B. O. Baptista (eds.), Recent Research in Second Language Phonetics/Phonology: Perception and Production, pp. 234-243. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Cebrian, J. (2008) The effect of perceptual factors in the acquisition of an L2 vowel contrast. A Avery, E. B. Dresher & K. Rice. (Eds.), Contrast in Phonology: Perception and Acquisition. (pp.303-322). Mouton de Gruyter.
- Cebrian, J. (2006) Experience and the use of duration in the categorization of L2 vowels. Journal of Phonetics 34, 372-387.