Maria-Josep Solé is Full Professor of English Linguistics at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Spain. She has been Fulbright professor and visiting scholar at the University of California, Berkeley, on various occasions. She leads the English Phonetics and Phonology Research Group and is the Principal Investigator of grant FFI 2013-46354-P, in collaboration with Juli Cebrian, on ‘Perception and production in L2 acquisition: Phonological and lexical categories in second language learners’.
Her current research interests are in experimental phonology and phonetics, the acquisition of phonology, and sound change. She has published on speech production (interarticulatory coordination and aerodynamics of speech sounds), the articulatory and perceptual basis of sound change, cross-linguistic phonological patterns, the phonetics-phonology interface, variation in the speech signal and categorization, and phonological categories and lexical access in L2 learners. She is editor of the influential volume ‘Experimental Approaches to Phonology’ (Oxford University Press, 2007) in collaboration with P. Beddor and M. Ohala.
She was chair of the Workshop on Sound Change, Barcelona , November 2010 (http://www.traces.uab.cat/soundchange/index.html) and co-chair of the 15th International Congress Phonetic Sciences, Barcelona, August 2003 (http://storage.sk.uni-bonn.de/ICPhS/ICPhS_15/p15_intro.pdf).
- Solé, M.J. 2015. Acoustic evidence of articulatory adjustments to sustain voicing during voiced stops. Proceedings of the 18th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences. Glasgow, United Kingdom, 1-5. Paper number 0554.1-5.
- Solé, M.J. 2014. The perception of voice-initiating gestures. Laboratory Phonology, Volume 5, Issue 1, 37-68.
- Solé, M.J. and D. Recasens (eds.). 2012. The Initiation of Sound Change: Perception, Production and Social Factors. Amsterdam: John Benjamins, 250pp.
- Solé, M.J. 2012. Natural and Unnatural Patterns of Sound Change? In Solé, M.J. and Recasens, D. (eds.). The Initiation of Sound Change: Perception, Production and Social Factors. Amsterdam: John Benjamins, pp. 123-146.
- Solé, M.J. 2011. Articulatory adjustments in initial voiced stops in Spanish, French and English. M. Wei & E. Zee (eds.), Proceedings of the 17th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences (reviewed abstracts), pp. 1878-1881. Hong Kong, China. ISBN: 978-962-442-341-9 (3v.)
- Solé, M.J. and Sprouse, R. 2011. Voice-initiating gestures in Spanish: Prenasalization. M. Wei & E. Zee (eds.), Proceedings of the 17th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences, pp. 72-75. Hong Kong, China.
- Solé, M.J., Larry M. Hyman & Kemmonye C. Monaka. 2010. More on post-nasal devoicing: The case of Shekgalagari. Journal of Phonetics 38.4, pp. 604-616.
- Solé, M.J. & Ohala, J.J. 2010. What is and what is not under the control of the speaker. Intrinsic vowel duration. In Cécile Fougeron, Barbara Kühnert, Mariapaola D’Imperio, and Nathalie Vallée (eds.) Papers in Laboratory Phonology 10. Berlin: de Gruyter, pp. 607-655.
- Solé, M.J. 2010. Effects of syllable position on sound change: An aerodynamic study of final fricative weakening. Journal of Phonetics 38.2: 289-305.
- Ohala, J.J. & Solé, M.J. 2010. Turbulence and phonology. In Susanne Fuchs, Martine Toda & Marzena Zygis (eds.) Turbulent sounds. An interdisciplinary guide. Berlin: Mouton deGruyter, pp. 37-97.